As a member of the â€śBRANAâ€ť Network, the Institute for Youth Development KULT, in cooperation with the Municipality of Kakanj, held a public discussion on topic â€śSanation and Renovation of Flooded Areas in Municipality of Kakanjâ€ť.
The aim of the public discussion was to improve the dialogue between the local authorities and citizens related to the renovation process, and all for the purpose of transparency in the renovation process after the disastrous floods that affected our country. The public discussion was attended by Hrusto Nurudin, the Assistant of the Mayor of Civil Protection, Sakib Kozlo, the President of the local community of Pope, and representatives of the Institute for Construction Mubera Omeragi? and Mirha Kulovi?. The visitors of the public discussion were the residents of the local communities and citizens who were affected by the last yearâ€™s floods.
During his address, Nurudin Hrusto, the Assistant of the Mayor of Civil Protection, discussed damage assessment in the whole municipality that exceeds 28 million BAM, which is the total estimate of the damage caused by the heavy rainfall in May 2014.
Representatives of the Institute for Construction and Urbanism of the Municipality of Kakanj, Mirha Kulovi? and Mubera Omeragi?, clarified what has been realized so far in the area of local communities of Pope and ZgoĹˇ?e, since most of the citizens were from precisely those local communities. In the local community of Pope the sewage infrastructure was destroyed and around 1,000 residents were in danger. The sewage was, as emphasized, reconstructed, but only partly. It was explained that the residents of the community do not allow for the pipes to be installed through their yards. In the local community of ZgoĹˇ?e, after the floods, a bridge in total value of 70,000 BAM was built. The requirement for a bridge to be build occurred after the old bridge had been destroyed due to water torrents in May 2014. The bridge enabled communication to be established with the Kakanj-TrĹˇ?e road and towards a part of the ZgoĹˇ?e community on the right side of the river bank. The building was financed by the UNDP and the Municipality of Kakanj.
In making plans for the future, it has been emphasized that the priority is to manage the river bed of the creek flowing through the Pope community that poses a threat for the nearby houses even after smaller rainfalls.
The following conclusions were brought during the Public Discussion:
– To reconstruct the industrial road going through the Pope community that was largely damaged after the floods in 2014, since there is already an existing order to perform works;
– To establish a better information system for the citizens of the Municipality of Kakanj about the sanation processes and the manner in which and where they can apply for donations;
– To finish the reconstruction of the sewage network in the local community of Pope;
– To call upon the citizens to allow the construction workers to use their land if the experts estimate that they do not pose a threat to their property located in that area;
– To act preventively in all the local communities so that the events from 2014 would not occur again – this referring to both the Public Institutions and the citizens of the Municipality of Kakanj;
– To organize quarterly meetings for the presidents of the local communities and the Mayor of the Municipality of Kakanj, where the burning issues of all the local communities would be discussed, as well as finding possible solutions and advices.